Friday, November 19, 2010

Levi's Belt Loop Problem

Naples

"You were unlucky," he repeated the Neapolitan friends "you are getting the rain." I have said on the waterfront, they told me the Via Chiaia, I have said in Martyrs Square. No, I was lucky, however, because the Naples I saw was the real Naples, that far from the stereotypes, the one who knows just who lives there. Too easy to associate the idea we have of a city with a picture postcard - the two pine trees in the background of Posillipo with the sea and Mount Vesuvius, in this case. Too easy to get and sing "O sole mio". This makes the tourists.

Instead, sitting and drinking a coffee in the Galleria Umberto I, I felt part of this city. There was wind, there was wet, the rain fell intermittently, could also be in London, given that turned umbrellas. It could have been Milan, in a gallery so similar. But it was Naples, just one of his spirits, the theater, set design - it is no coincidence that a few steps from there are the Teatro San Carlo and Piazza del Plebiscito. They told me that there are gathered the evening of tango dancers. The soul of the city is also in this. Hard to think of tangueros dance on the mosaics in front of Prada, prefer the quiet of a trivial local on the canals. In Naples, however you can.

I had already seen the sea on the Riviera di Chiaia, I was in love with the view that ranged from a Posillipo Castel dell 'Ovo and lay under a sky where the light varied continuously, in which the clouds were arranged as a backdrop to the stage. I had already had a taste of Naples: the curly puff that melts in your mouth and fills the taste buds with its delicious aroma to the palate with cinnamon and orange peel. I was already immersed in the soft delicacy of a baba watered syrup, eaten with the eyes before the mouth on that plate of metal from parts of the station.

The rain, I said. The greatest regret, the sorrow of my real friends. Naples is the sun and sea. But it is not true: Naples is the people, it is the exquisite hospitality and warmth. The best compliment that I did was tell me I'm a misuse in the North, that my documents are fake, which actually I am a "street urchin". I have even submitted to an examination of Naples, to try to catch me in chestnut, but perhaps for the soul of Toto hovering everywhere in the inn where we dined, the test was not conclusive - or so I believe, perhaps really They found that the cassoeula I much prefer the pizza!

I was in Naples ... I was with friends ... I was lucky.

Naples, Piazza del Plebiscito © DR

0 comments:

Post a Comment